Laying out the facts about the benefits – and drawbacks – of wood siding.
Here are some key factors about wood siding to take into consideration when contemplating what you should use for your cottage.
Wood Siding Benefits
- Looks natural, comes from the earth - many cottage lovers appreciate that
- There's room for customization because wood takes many forms and colours
Wood Siding Drawbacks
- Wood siding is highly flammable unless treated appropriately, and even with treatment, has a higher flame spread index than competitive products
- Any type of treated wood will need to be re-finished, re-stained, and cleaned - it all takes time and money
- If the foundation of your cottage is really low to the ground, you're more likely to encounter moisture and bug issues that can deteriorate your structure
- Rotting, warping, and molding are all issues to consider with wood siding
- Bug infestations (termites, ants, beetles, wasps) can be an issue, especially if fire wood is stacked against your cottage
- The time and money going into regular maintenance is extensive, which is effort that could be spent elsewhere - like by the lake!
So should you use wood siding on your cottage? We can't tell you what to do – but considering a premium aluminum siding like Luxyclad is a great start to finding your answer.Learn More About Luxyclad Siding »
SOURCE: Thumbnail from Arch Daily, taken by Tim Bies